The cart is empty
City Of Limburg

City Of Limburg

Limburg lies in western Hesse between the Taunus and the Westerwald on the river Lahn.

The town lies roughly centrally in a basin within the Rhenish Slate Mountains which is surrounded by the low ranges of the Taunus and Westerwald and called the Limburg Basin (Limburger Becken). Owing to the favourable soil and climate, the Limburg Basin stands as one in all Hesse's richest agricultural regions and moreover, with its handy Lahn crossing, it has been of nice significance to move because the Middle Ages. Within the basin, the Lahn's in any other case rather slim lower valley broadens out noticeably, making Limburg's imply elevation only 117 m above sea level.


Limburg varieties, along with the city of Diez, a middle centre (when it comes to Central place concept) but partially features as an upper centre to western Center Hesse.

Limburg's residential neighbourhoods attain past the city limits; the neighbouring centres of Elz and Diez run seamlessly together.

Surrounding towns and communities are the group of Elz and the town of Hadamar in the north, the community of Beselich in the northeast, the city of Runkel within the east, the communities of Villmar and Brechen in the southeast, the neighborhood of Hünfelden in the south (all in Limburg-Weilburg), the neighborhood of Holzheim in the southwest, and the town of Diez and the communities of Aull and Gückingen within the west (all within the Rhein-Lahn-Kreis in Rhineland-Palatinate).

The nearest major cities are Wetzlar and Gießen to the north east, Wiesbaden and Frankfurt to the south and Koblenz to the west.

The town consists of eight formerly autonomous Ortsteile or villages, listed right here by population.

Limburg: 18,393
Lindenholzhausen: 3,377
Linter: 3,160
Eschhofen: 2,803
Staffel: 2,656
Offheim: 2,572
Dietkirchen: 1,724
Ahlbach: 1,281
Likewise often called a constituent group is Blumenrod, though this is really only an enormous residential neighbourhood in the primary town’s south end. Its landmark is the Domäne Blumenrod, a former manor house that has been restored and remodelled by the Limburg Free Evangelical community.

Limburg’s biggest outlying centre is Lindenholzhausen (three,329 residents as of June 2.06); the second largest is Linter.

The derivation of the name "Limburg" is not quite clear and will properly hearken back to a citadel built here (Burg means "fort" in German). In 910 the town was first mentioned as Lintpurc. Two of the favored theories are:

The name was chosen because of the shut proximity to the Linterer Bach, a former stream in Linter that has now run dry and that emptied into the Lahn on the Domfelsen (crag). Linda is the Gaulish word for water.
Moderately unlikely however extremely popular is the connection to a dragon saga (see Lindworm) and the connection with the monastery of Saint George the "Dragon Slayer" based in Limburg. Nevertheless, the monastery was built after the fort and founded around the time of the first written point out of the name.

About 800, the primary castle buildings arose on the Limburg crags. This was in all probability designed for the protection of a ford over the river Lahn. In the decades that followed, the town developed beneath the citadel's protection. Limburg is first mentioned in paperwork in 910 beneath the title of Lintpurc when Louis the Baby granted Konrad Kurzbold an estate locally on which he was to build a church. Konrad Kurzbold laid the inspiration stone for Saint George's Monastery Church, where he was additionally buried. The group quickly elevated in significance with the monastery's founding and profited from the lively goods trade on the Via Publica.

In 1150, a wooden bridge was constructed across the Lahn. The long-distance highway from Cologne to Frankfurt am Important subsequently ran via Limburg. In the early thirteenth century, Limburg Castle was in-built its present form. Shortly afterwards, the city handed into the ownership of the Lords of Ysenburg. In 1214, the community was granted city rights. Remains of the fortification wall from the years 1130, 12.0 and 1340 with a maxiumum length of roughly one thousand metres point out to this day the blossoming city's quick development in the Middle Ages. There's proof of a mint in Limburg in 1180.


Mediaeval window at the back of the cathedral (peristyle)
One line of the Lords of Ysenburg resided from 1258 to 1406 at Limburg Fort and took their identify from their seat, Limburg. From this line got here the House of Limburg-Stirum and likewise Imagina of Isenburg-Limburg, German King Adolf's wife.

The ruling class among the mediaeval townsfolk were wealthy service provider families whose houses stood proper close to the castle tower and were surrounded by the primary City of Limburg wall as soon as it was built. The world of at the moment's Rossmarkt ("Horse Market"), by which many simple craftsmen lived, was only introduced inside the fortifications once the second town wall was built. The inhabitants there, nevertheless, not like the merchant élite, had been accorded no entitlement to a voice in town affairs and weren't allowed to send representatives to the town council. However, they had to bear the main monetary burden of operating the town. Only in 1458 have been they allowed to ship representatives to city council.


Saint George's Cathedral (Sankt-Georgs-Dom) constructed on the old monastery church's web site, and in addition called Georgsdom, was consecrated in 1235. On 14 Could 1289, a devastating fire wiped out great components of the internal city, though these had been subsequently rebuilt. One of many houses built at that time was the Römer 2-four-6, which is at the moment one of Germany's oldest half-timbered houses. In 1337, Limburg's Jews had been expelled from the town. Only in 1341 were they once again able to settle within the town, by royal decree. In 1344 a half share of the town was pledged to the Voters of Trier, and in 1420, the city handed wholly into the ownership of Trier. This occasion, along with one other town fire in 1342, the Black Demise in 1349, 1356 and 1365, however above all the rise of the Territorial Princes, led to a gradual decline. In 1315 and 1346, the old stone Lahn Bridge was built (presumably in two sections).


Limburg – extract from the Topographia Hassiae by Matthäus Merian 1655

Saint George's Cathedral in Limburg at this time

Old Town
Against the background of the German Peasants' War, unrest additionally arose among the townsfolk in 1525. After the Elector of Trier had demanded that the townsmen turn a Lutheran preacher out of the town, a board made up of townsmen who had been ineligible for council functions handed the council a 30-point complete checklist of demands on 24 May. It dealt mainly with monetary participation and equality in taxation, commerce and building points with the merchant class. Within the days that followed, these calls for have been reduced in negotiations between the council and the board to sixteen points, which have been likely additionally taken up with the Elector afterwards. On 5 August, nevertheless, Archbishop Richard ordered the council to overturn all concessions to the townsmen. Furthermore, a ban on assembly was decreed, and the ineligible townsmen were stripped of their proper to ship representatives to council.

In 1806, Limburg came into the possession of the newly based Duchy of Nassau. In 1818 the town wall was torn down. In 1827 the town was raised to a Catholic episcopal seat. In 1866 the Duchy and with it Limburg passed to Prussia within the wake of the Austro-Prussian War. As of 1862, Limburg became a railway hub and from 1886 a district seat. In 1892, the Pallottines settled on the town, however solely the lads; the ladies got here in 1895.

Throughout World War I there was a serious prisoner of war camp at Limburg an der Lahn. Many Irish members of the British Army had been interned there till the end of the war and at one stage they were visited by the Irish republican leader Roger Casement in an attempt to win recruits for the forthcoming Irish rebellion.

From 1919 to 1923, Limburg was the "capital" of a brief-lived state called Free State Bottleneck (or Freistaat Flaschenhals in German) because it was the closest unoccupied town to the Weimar Republic.

Limburg is a conventional transport hub. Already within the Middle Ages, the Through Publica crossed the navigable Lahn here. In the present day the A 3 (Emmerich–Oberhausen–Cologne–Frankfurt–Nuremberg–Passau) and Bundesstraße 8, which both observe the By way of Publica's alignment as closely as potential, run by means of the town. Bundesstraße 49 links Limburg to Koblenz towards the west and Wetzlar and Gießen towards the east. The section between Limburg and Wetzlar is currently being widened to four lanes. This section so far as Obertiefenbach is also called Die lange Meil ("The Long Mile"). Bundesstraße fifty four links Limburg on the one hand with Siegen to the north and on the opposite by way of Diez with Wiesbaden, which may likewise be reached over Bundesstraße 417 (Hühnerstraße).

As early as 1248, a wooden bridge spanned the Lahn, but was replaced after the flooding in 1306 by a stone bridge, the Alte Lahnbrücke. Different road bridges are the Lahntalbrücke Limburg (1964) on the A 3, the Lahnbrücke near Staffel and the Neue Lahnbrücke from 1968, over which run the Bundesstraßen earlier than they cross under the inside town by way of the Schiedetunnel, a bypass tunnel.

As soon as the Lahntalbahn had been constructed, Limburg was joined to the railway community in 1862. Limburg railway station developed into a transport hub. Eschhofen station can be in Limburg. Different railway lines are the Unterwesterwaldbahn, the Oberwesterwaldbahn and the Fundamental-Lahn Railway. At Niedernhausen station on the Major-Lahn Railway, switch to the Ländchesbahn to Wiesbaden is possible. Aside from the upper section of the Lahntalbahn and categorical strains to Koblenz and Frankfurt, which are nonetheless served by Deutsche Bahn, all railway lines are run by Vectus Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH, based mostly in Limburg.

Once the InterCityExpress Cologne-Frankfurt excessive-velocity rail line had been built, Limburg acquired an ICE station. It's the only railway station in Germany at which exclusively ICE trains stop. The high-pace rail line crosses the Lahn over the Lahntalbrücke and then dives into the Limburger Tunnel.

The closest airport is Frankfurt Airport, 63 km away on the A 3. Travel time there on the ICE is roughly 20 minutes. Cologne Bonn Airport is a hundred and ten km away and will be reached on the ICE in forty four minutes.

The Lahn between Lahnstein and Wetzlar is a Bundeswasserstraße ("Federal waterway"). Since the Lahntalbahn's enlargement, however, the waterway's importance has been declining. It is used mainly by tourists with small motorboats, canoes and rowboats. Limburg is the touchdown site of the tourboat Wappen von Limburg.

About LT Restaurant

LT Restaurant is premium single & clear Joomla! template for restaurant website. This template support strong template framework, powerful page builder, fully responsive layout and unlimited positions. It builds with latest Bootstrap CSS Framework, and support Font Awesome, extended K2 style and so on.

Latest News

Layout Type

Presets Color

Background Image